Forfar Academy

The Academy Street Buildings

Forfar Academy Forfar Academy
Too late to photograph the original Forfar Academy before it had become Chapel Park Primary School and a bed of shrubs had materialised in front of the original building which still exists in Academy Street. It was completed in 1815 and the west wing extension was added later.  In 1957, Miss Milne taught English and History in Room 16 which was at the extreme left end of the west wing on the ground floor. There was no fire escape from the upper floor back in the 1950s. The same architect who designed  Montrose Academy was also responsible for Forfar Academy and the original buildings of both schools bear a resemblance to one another. The 1910 building  (above right) housed the gymnasium and music rooms.  When these photographs were taken in the early 2000s the buildings had passed to Chapel Park Primary School - PHOTOs Malcolm McCrow
Forfar Academy Forfar Academy
In 2016 the Old Academy was on the Royal Burgh of Forfar's Heritage Trail and was being converted into apartments - PHOTOs Malcolm McCrow
The Taylor Street Campus
Forfar Academy Forfar Academy
The main entrance to Forfar Academy which was relocated to Taylor Street, the school buildings being completed in 1965 and opened by the Queen Mother - PHOTOs Malcolm McCrow
Forfar Academy Forfar Academy
Forfar Academy as it was in the early 2000s - PHOTOs Malcolm McCrow
Forfar Academy Forfar Academy
Main entrance and foyer in the building's last year of existence - PHOTOs Malcolm McCrow
Forfar Academy Forfar Academy
Roll of Honour for the Great War and the Second World War (left);  the Honours Boards (right) which  date back to to the 1840s were brought over from Academy Street - PHOTOs Malcolm McCrow
Forfar Academy Forfar Academy
Tributes to past masters - James Brodie, who taught mathematics from 1871 to 1899 and Adam Smith Thomson who was the Rector from 1897 to 1925.  Other rectors, including Dr Allardice and Mr Gillespie had their photographs displayed around the walls of the Boardroom.  The School Archives contain pupils' records dating from the 1840s  - PHOTOs Malcolm McCrow
Forfar Academy Forfar Academy
The quadrangle and duck pond to which the ducks used to return every year to bring up their broods of ducklings - PHOTOs Malcolm McCrow
Forfar Academy Forfar Academy
The Hall doubled as a refectory and an auditorium and is seen here set for lunch.  Meals were cooked on the premises and the serving hatches can be seen in the centre of the photograph on the left.  The honours boards show the prize winners dating from 1965 when the Taylor Street campus opened - PHOTOs Malcolm McCrow
Forfar Academy Forfar Academy
The last year (2016) when birds could nest in the quadrangle trees - PHOTOs Malcolm McCrow
Forfar Academy Forfar Academy
Taylor Street and the Hall (left);  the block which housed the Technical, and Music and Art rooms (right) - PHOTOs Malcolm McCrow
Forfar Academy Forfar Academy
Dreich winter days as the end draws nigh for the demise of the Taylor Street complex - PHOTOs Malcolm McCrow
Forfar Academy Forfar Academy
1 September 2016 - the day when pupils were released from class to observe the solar eclipse.  A quote from Burns' "To A Louse" printed on the wall of a ground floor corridor - PHOTOs Malcolm McCrow
The Kirriemuir Road Campus
New Forfar Academy New Forfar Academy
The ground is cleared for the third Forfar Academy building  - PHOTOs Malcolm McCrow
New Forfar Academy New Forfar Academy
Work continued on most days in nearly all weathers - PHOTOs Malcolm McCrow
New Forfar Academy New Forfar Academy
A few days later - looking towards the Kirriemuir Road where the buildings and yard of the agricultural engineers,  Peter Small Ltd, can be seen left of centre in the above photograph.  The complex was taken over by the Council when Peter Small Ltd ceased to exist in the mid 1960s - PHOTOs Malcolm McCrow
New Forfar Academy New Forfar Academy
The tower crane was removed after the building rose to its maximum height - PHOTOs Malcolm McCrow
New Forfar Academy New Forfar Academy
The Old and the New - PHOTOs Malcolm McCrow
New Forfar Academy New Forfar Academy
The new school viewed from the old - PHOTOs Malcolm McCrow
New Forfar Academy New Forfar Academy
The new school and a new games pitch under construction seen from the old school some weeks later - PHOTOs Malcolm McCrow
Forfar Academy Forfar Academy
By autumn 2016 the end was nigh for the Taylor Street campus - PHOTOs Malcolm McCrow
Demolition of Forfar Academy Demolition of Forfar Academy
Views from Taylor Street with demolition under way in July 2017 - PHOTOs Malcolm McCrow
Demolition of Forfar Academy Demolition of Forfar Academy
Ironically the 1965 building lasted barely 50 years while the 1815 building, albeit no longer a school, will go on for many years past its bicentennial - PHOTOs Malcolm McCrow
The Forgotten Forfar Academy
There was another Forfar Academy, now almost forgotten.  Forfar Academy primary school, unlike the Higher Academy, was a fee paying school situated off Lour Road  at the end of Kirkriggs and behind the old South School.  There were three buildings and a dining hall arranged around a large playground.  The dining hall was also used by pupils attending the Higher Academy  and S1 pupils at the Higher attended music lessons in the old South School.  In 1952 Helen Langlands taught Primary 2, Nancy McLean Primary 3 and Jean Rodgers, well-known for her "Chronicles of Mary Ann", which appeared regularly in the Forfar Dispatch, taught Primary 4.  The headmaster (the term head teacher was not used then) was Mr McLaren.  Forfar Academy primary school pupils did PT (not PE!) under the watchful eye of Iain Henderson in the gym in Academy Street. By the early sixties Forfar Academy Primary was no more.  The site was cleared and new buildings erected which formed part of a primary school.

Home Page www.mccrow.org.uk

Tayside Today